The first Christian Endeavour Society in Ireland was started by Miss Margaret Magill. Margaret was born in Belfast and attended Agnes Street Presbyterian Church where she became a Christian. Margaret worked in a fancy box factory. She was a very determined but humble woman who did not like to appear in public. Sometime after she became a Christian, she was asked to take a Sunday School class of girls which did not have a teacher. She agreed to take the class on a short term basis. After a few Sundays, the girls begged her to stay permanently. She consented to do so when the older girls agreed to help her. Numbers increased as some unruly girls from other classes were transferred to Miss Magill's class.
In July 1889 a number of young men asked if they could join and did so bringing with them their teacher. The combined classes organised themselves with a president, secretary, treasurer and committees. At the same time an article appeared in the "Sunday School Chronicle" about Christian Endeavour in America. Margaret Magill made enquiries and obtained a copy of "Christian Endeavour: What it is and How it works" by Francis Clark. She was surprised to find that the methods it recommended were quite similar to those she was using. She took the book along and discussed it with the young people. They adopted the new name and on September 30th the Agnes Street Young Peoples's Society of Christian Endeavour was registered as No. 39 in the British Section. The first Christian Endeavour society in Ireland had begun.
One year later, a Junior Society was started in Knock Methodist Church, where the minister was the Rev J D Lamont. He was introduced to CE by a member of his congregation - Mr Newman Hall - who learned of CE Principles and Methods while on holiday in Canada.
Dr Clark visited Ireland for the first time in 1893 and the first Irish Convention was held in 1894 in Belfast. The Irish CE Union was established in 1897.
It should be added that there is a Memorial Tablet marking Margaret Magill's singular and lasting achievement. It was first erected in Agnes Street Presbyterian Church and was later move to in 1971 to Immanual Presbyterian Church, which is the amalgamation of Agnes Street and Bethany Presbyterian Churches.